C & C Shaft
The remains of the C & C Shaft give a real view of what it was like during the years of the actual mining boom in Virginia City. Many of these mines were not out in the hills. They were located right in town. The remains of the C & C Shaft sit on a normal lot on a residential street, located in between family homes. According to the USGS, the C & C Shaft was discovered in an unknown year prior to 1873. The first year of any real production was 1872. Silver and gold were listed as primary commodities. The USGS states that the C & C Shaft is located approximately 1,000 feet east of the Consolidated Virginia (Con-Virginia) Shaft. The USGS Report indicates a production connection with the Con-Virginia. USGS Report Quote: "Tapped the "Big Bonanza" ores in 1872 on the Con-Virginia claim. Later (early 1900's) it was used in "dewatering" of old shafts to rework marginal ores."
C & C Shaft- Mining Deaths- (1863 through 1882):
Charles Lynn (also called John Linn)- March 12; Richard Rodda & Andrew Williams- May 17; Robert Menomey (or McMenomy)- September 9.
Michael McInery- Late January; Benjamin Davis & Henry Shellenberg (or Harry Shellenburg)- February 15; John Bowes- October 11
Sources: USGS MRDS Reports- 10222504 C&C Shaft; 10043901 C&C Shaft; (Mining Deaths); Lyon County Times (Newspaper); Gold Hill Daily News (Newspaper); Eureka Daily Sentinel (Newspaper); Pioche Weekly Record (Newspaper); Virginia Evening Chronicle (Newspaper); Carson Morning Appeal (Newspaper); Weekly Elko Independent (Newspaper).