White Pine County
Initial silver discoveries were made in the area in 1872. The discovery of the original Tea Cup Mine led to the boom in the area. By 1873, there were approximately 400 residents. Several businesses opened up in Cherry Creek, to include a hotel, boarding houses, many saloons, a blacksmith, livery stable and several restaurants. A brewery was also opened in nearby Egan Canyon. Egan Canyon is located south of Cherry Creek heading west over the mountains. A post office and Wells Fargo Office were established. Many mills began to operate in the area as well. In 1874, the population expanded rapidly, but the mines were beginning to show signs of decline. 1875 saw many mines run out of good ore. The period between 1875 and 1880 appears to be a very uneventful period. Historians don't speak much from 1875 forward, until the new boom hit in 1880. Valuable ore was discovered again in the Tea Cup, Exchequer and Star Mines. The White Pine District/ Hamilton area was in decline at this time. In 1881, a 20- stamp mill was hauled from Hamilton to the Star Mine. It began operation in 1882. Hamilton also lost a local newspaper called the "White Pine News" to cherry Creek in 1881. Sources say that the transient population reached as high as 6,000 residents, with a permanent population of over 1,500 people. With the new boom of 1880, fraternal societies began to organize at Cherry Creek. The Odd Fellows established a permanent lodge in 1880. The Masons organized their lodge here in 1882. This new boom period also saw an Anti-Chinese movement called the "League of Deliverance" attempt tom organize at Cherry Creek. By 1883, the new decline was in full swing. A large fire at the Star Mine in 1884 added to Cherry Creek's problems. In 1885, the White Pine News, which had previously left Hamilton for Cherry Creek, now left Cherry Creek for booming Hamilton. Cherry Creek never totally died. It still maintained a population, as well as smaller mines that were still producing. A large fire burned many businesses in 1888. In 1890, there was still a population of 350 residents. The period between 1890 and 1905 appears to be another uneventful era. 1906 saw the Nevada Northern Railway arrive and the population increased again. See the page on this website of the old rail track between Cherry Creek and Currie. The area faded again after 1910. There have been several other attempts and revivals at Cherry Creek in the years since. Cherry Creek has been a huge producer for White Pine County over many decades. The district was the chief producer in the county on more than one occasion. To include 1873-1875 and 1880-1883. The 1920's, 1930's and 1940's also saw periods of employment and production at the Cherry Creek Mines. It still maintains a very small population today.
Post Office: June 11, 1873 to July 19, 1974.
An Odd Fellows Association was organized here in March of 1880. Associations are established to investigate interest in a future lodge. Cherry Creek Odd Fellows Lodge #32 was instituted here shortly after. I am unsure of the date that this lodge stopped meeting.
A Masonic Association was organized here in December of 1881. Steptoe Masonic Lodge #24 was granted permission to operate Under Dispensation on April 19th, 1882. They were granted full Charter on June 19, 1882. With the decline of Cherry Creek and booms in other areas, Cherry Creek only had six members left in town in 1915. Their Charter was officially surrendered in the Fall of that year.
Last Trip/ Road Conditions: There is a paved, rural road leading up to Cherry Creek. The photographs are from 2015. See the pages for the Cherry Creek cemeteries, Egan Canyon and the Cherry Creek to Currie rail line. The newspaper clippings are from the White Pine News in the early 1880's.