Virginia City- Tahoe House

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/26

Storey County

For those of you that don't know, the Comstock Lode was one of the biggest mining bonanzas that ever occurred. It began many years prior to Nevada becoming a state in 1864. Comstock money not only made San Francisco, but it paved the way for Nevada statehood. The Tahoe House was established in 1859 during the early days of the Comstock boom. Virginia City, Nevada is one of the most well-preserved and historic locations in the entire United States. While walking the streets of Virginia City, you still feel like it's 1870. A few years ago, the Tahoe House was purchased by the current owners Paul and Brianna. While the hotel has been given all of the needed upgrades to make the guests comfortable, none of the historic aspects have been sacrificed. Much like Virginia City itself, when you're inside of the Tahoe House, you still feel like you're in an 1860's era, elegant hotel. The lobby includes a bar, sitting area, tables and access to the balcony which overlooks downtown Virginia City. The rooms are upgraded and very clean, yet still contain all of the historical features. There are still breeze windows located above the doors and some of the rooms still contain the original brick walls. The rooms either give access to the balcony that overlooks Virginia City, or access to the beautiful garden and sitting area out back. The Cottage House is located right out back. This cottage is separate from the main hotel. It includes a balcony, kitchenette, wood stove, etc. While speaking with other guests, the consensus is unanimous. The Tahoe House itself provides 90% of the experience. But Paul and Brianna provide the other 10%. They are not business owners who simply take your money and hand you a key. They know your name, details about you, always stop to have a conversation with you, and introduce you in detail to the other guests. On several occasions, Paul has stopped what he was doing to show me another historical feature of the hotel. And when it comes to cost, you can barely get a dingy room at a chain motel these days for what it costs to stay at the Tahoe House. Your stay also includes the first drink free at the bar, as well as an outstanding continental breakfast every morning. And on that note, I am not being paid or given any compensation for this review. Paul and Brianna don't even know that I'm doing it. If we had to rate the Tahoe House between 1 and 5 stars, we'd give it 6 stars if we could!